This is the statement Southern Water have made regarding their hosepipe ban water restrictions starting on April 5th 2012.
We will now use this page as the definitive guide on Southern Water’s restrictions and exemptions. Please therefore refer back here if you have seen something contradictory on another part of our site which may have been written when other rules applied.
You may comment or ask questions using the comments box at the bottom of this page.
Southern Water’s statement:
What activities are restricted (prohibitions) from April 5?
- Watering a garden using a hosepipe;
- Cleaning a private motor vehicle using a hosepipe;
- Watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe;
- Cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe;
- Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool;
- Drawing water using a hosepipe for domestic recreational use;
- Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe;
- Filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain;
- Cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises using a hosepipe;
- Cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe;
- Cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe.
In these prohibitions:
“garden” includes a park, gardens open to the public, a lawn, a grass verge, grass used for sport or recreation, an allotment used for non-commercial purposes and any other green space; hosepipe includes anything designed, adapted or used to serve the same purpose as a hosepipe; using a hosepipe for domestic recreational use includes operating water slides and other recreational equipment.
The following are excepted from the prohibitions:
- Watering a grass surface used for regional, national or international sport events;
- Cleaning a private motor vehicle by a business specialising in hand car washing which uses hosepipes as part of the process;
- Using a water-fed pole to clean the windows of domestic premises in the course of a business;
- Cleaning the walls of domestic premises in the course of a business where the purpose of cleaning is the removal of graffiti;
- Cleaning paths, patios and hard-standings by a business whose sole operation is the cleaning of paths, patios and other hard-standings.
Further exceptions are specified in The Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010 (SI 2010 No. 2231) and that Order also defines certain terms. The Order may be found at www.southernwater.co.uk/wateruseorder, and the Company will consider instances of significant hardship for concessionary exception, which may be subject to conditions “ please call us on 0845 278 0845 if you think this applies to you.
We will consider applications for concessionary exceptions from customers who are significantly adversely impacted by the restrictions because of infirmity or disability and for customers who use a drip or trickle irrigation watering system, fitted with a pressure reducing valve and a timer, that are not handheld, that place water drip by drip directly onto the soil surface or beneath the soil surface, without any surface run off or dispersion of water through the air using a jet or mist. Please call us on 0845 278 0845 for further advice if you feel either of these apply to you.
Contact details here: Southern Water Contacts